New need help with 40 series torque converter

Misc. (Import) Go-Karts and Buggies

New need help with 40 series torque converter

Postby Asmodion » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:41 am

Hi - New to gokarts but fairly mechanically inclined. Buddy bought a Manco Dingo 2-seat kart with a 10 hp Tecumseh motor and 40 series torque converter setup. There were several things wrong with this kart and we're trying to do a full overhaul to ensure that it's operating properly. I'm having trouble with the Torque converter.... how the heck do you get it apart? I want to visually inspect and re-lube... looks like somebody shot oil into it and it's probably all gunked up. Also - the previous owner was apparently running it without any sort of fastener holding it on to the output shaft on the motor. How is this typically held on? Looks like I have about 3/4" of threading into the shaft for a 3/8 bolt - is there a special washer this requires?

Thanks in advance - if pics are needed please let me know.
Asmodion

Ride: Dingo 10hp

Re: New need help with 40 series torque converter

Postby BlackScorpion » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:48 pm

Asmodion wrote:Hi - New to gokarts but fairly mechanically inclined. Buddy bought a Manco Dingo 2-seat kart with a 10 hp Tecumseh motor and 40 series torque converter setup. There were several things wrong with this kart and we're trying to do a full overhaul to ensure that it's operating properly. I'm having trouble with the Torque converter.... how the heck do you get it apart? I want to visually inspect and re-lube... looks like somebody shot oil into it and it's probably all gunked up. Also - the previous owner was apparently running it without any sort of fastener holding it on to the output shaft on the motor. How is this typically held on? Looks like I have about 3/4" of threading into the shaft for a 3/8 bolt - is there a special washer this requires?

Thanks in advance - if pics are needed please let me know.

Maybe these breakdown will help.

]If it aint broke.... then MODIFY it!
Think Different....Think outside the box...

BlackScorpion
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Ride: Carter XTV 150

Return to Go-Karts & Buggies (anything goes!)