Dingo with GX390 starting issues

Misc. (Import) Go-Karts and Buggies

Dingo with GX390 starting issues

Postby Cobrakillerta » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:01 am

So I dug up my little sisters Dingo which has been sitting in my parents yard for almost 10 years now. It has a Honda GX390 with electric start and low oil alert.

I cleaned out the gas tank, put in fresh gas, disassembled and cleaned out the carb so everything is flowing as it should. I installed a new plug and for some reason I am not getting any spark while pulling the pull starter. Is there another way to check for spark besides the screwdriver or plug to block method?

I checked the tons of wires in the electric start system and everything LOOKS ok. I did try jumping the cart off of my truck with jumper cables. Luckily it does crank over well but only does so if I turn the start key at the steering column, but does nothing if I try by turning the keg at the Honda electric start at the motor itself.

Any ideas?
Cobrakillerta

Ride: Dingo

Re: Dingo with GX390 starting issues

Postby gofastman » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:55 pm

I have an inline spark tester that I bought at a parts store. it's like the kind with a light bulb in it. they also make one with a screw that you can adjust to test strength of the spark.

as for the electrical, start by unplugging the low oil sensor if it already isn't. it will shut down the engine if you go around a turn to fast. then check for fuses that are bad. I have never been inside a Honda electric start. but we can go from there.
Fix things even if they are not broke. Its called UPGRADES!!
tease
gofastman

Ride: Murray Explorer

Postby Cobrakillerta » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:39 pm

Thanks for the reply...

I'll disconnect the low oil sensor and try again. Can I leave the low oil sensor disconnected I definitely so as not to worry about the hassle of it?
Cobrakillerta

Ride: Dingo

Postby BlackScorpion » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:21 pm

Cobrakillerta wrote:Thanks for the reply...

I'll disconnect the low oil sensor and try again. Can I leave the low oil sensor disconnected I definitely so as not to worry about the hassle of it?

You could, but it was put there for a reason. Running an engine with no oil in it , will mess it up.
]If it aint broke.... then MODIFY it!
Think Different....Think outside the box...

BlackScorpion
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Ride: Carter XTV 150

Postby gofastman » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:20 am

well it's just one wire. with a plug on it. that was my reason for disconnecting mine. I figured it would be the same for all of the oil sensors. do what you want but you can still try it for testing purposes.
Fix things even if they are not broke. Its called UPGRADES!!
tease
gofastman

Ride: Murray Explorer

Return to Go-Karts & Buggies (anything goes!)