Honda 5hp engine... now what?

China Import Engines

Honda 5hp engine... now what?

Postby bergawk » Sat May 23, 2009 6:26 pm

Hello folks. I've acquired a Honda 5 hp pressure washer engine w/ horizontal shaft and want to install it onto a frame I have. (My first go-cart). Question #1... do I need a new carb or can I modify the one on it to work? Question #2... are torque converters worth the investment or is a centrifugal clutch more than adequate to allow my two young boys to have fun? Any help is appreciated.
bergawk

Re: Honda 5hp engine... now what?

Postby BlackScorpion » Wed May 27, 2009 9:59 pm

bergawk wrote:Hello folks. I've acquired a Honda 5 hp pressure washer engine w/ horizontal shaft and want to install it onto a frame I have. (My first go-cart). Question #1... do I need a new carb or can I modify the one on it to work? Question #2... are torque converters worth the investment or is a centrifugal clutch more than adequate to allow my two young boys to have fun? Any help is appreciated.

Bergawk, Welcome to GKRU. The engine should work fine as is, as for the Torque Converter or clutch question, i would go with the Torque converter, the clutch the kids will be burning them out in no time. Beleive me when i tell you that a torque Converter is well worth the money. You could pick up a used one off Ebay if money is an issue.
Last edited by BlackScorpion on Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
]If it aint broke.... then MODIFY it!
Think Different....Think outside the box...

BlackScorpion
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Ride: Carter XTV 150

Postby smgs92 » Thu May 28, 2009 8:07 am

clutches are not worth it unless its gonna be strickly driveway empty parking lots and such anything else will burn them up
yerf-dog 3202, manco silver fox, custom go-kart, custom truck go-kart, 1970 CZ 125cc racing dirtbike
smgs92
Superior Being
Superior Being

honda 5 hp

Postby nate4207 » Sat May 30, 2009 4:07 pm

I just put a gc160 honda on my old manco. not sure if i did it right but it seems to be working and the kart goes pretty good will post some pictures and more info later.
love to build anything
nate4207

Re: honda 5 hp

Postby BlackScorpion » Sun May 31, 2009 12:10 am

nate4207 wrote:I just put a gc160 honda on my old manco. not sure if i did it right but it seems to be working and the kart goes pretty good will post some pictures and more info later.

looking forward to see what you did.

BlackScorpion
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Postby PA » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:42 pm

If the kart will have smaller rear wheels, say 8" tall, a centrifical clutch would get you by, but if larger and with hilly terrain a tav would be the best bet
PA
Committed
Committed

Postby BlackScorpion » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:27 pm

PA wrote:If the kart will have smaller rear wheels, say 8" tall, a centrifical clutch would get you by, but if larger and with hilly terrain a tav would be the best bet

PA, should know he has a nice collection of Karts.. How many do you have now PA?. Maybe he should me me one. :toothy8:

BlackScorpion
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Postby PA » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:08 am

Well as of Friday, I am down to just the two Ultramax race karts. The Yerf Dogs have been taking a beating, My Grandsons buddy hit a tree head on while getting some air, thankfully the bumper protected the spindle and wheel, the boy has a brused shoulder from the seat belt. The trail riding is getting out of hand around here
PA
Committed
Committed

Postby BlackScorpion » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:54 pm

PA wrote:Well as of Friday, I am down to just the two Ultramax race karts. The Yerf Dogs have been taking a beating, My Grandsons buddy hit a tree head on while getting some air, thankfully the bumper protected the spindle and wheel, the boy has a brused shoulder from the seat belt. The trail riding is getting out of hand around here

Yeow!! Be careful out there, this is supposed to be a safe hobby. (whistling while looking at the sky angel ) Know what you mean my son has gone thru the neighbors fence like four times already. Good thing the go kart has good bumpers and also that the the fence is made of 2X6 boards. So I'm often replacing them.

BlackScorpion
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Return to Honda Clones / GY6 / CN / CF / CH250