Honda GX160 stator coil to power my kart?

China Import Engines

Honda GX160 stator coil to power my kart?

Postby jorge0136 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:05 am

First and formost let me introduce myself to this wonderful little community. I live in the northwestern US and picked up myself a go kart here recently. Just the past posts have been very useful, thanks.

I am interested in powering some weak lights on my kart, I did some poking around and saw that I could use a belt driven alternator.
[web]http://www.gokartsrus.com/go-kart_forum/alternator-for-a-gx200-help-me-out-red-t3719.html[/web]
Then I ran across the forum post above and I figured I could possibly use a stator coil instead. However the other post was slightly confusing. The flywheels I have found around the net appear as though they mount onto the crankshaft. My issue there is that I already have a centrifugal clutch already mounted off of the crankshaft. If I am able to do both, the language they used makes it sound as though you mount the stator into some bolts off of the block to spin off of the teeth of the flywheel. Am I correct in how this is going to work?
Additionally
The_Technician wrote:
tentacles wrote:Just to let you guys know, I picked up that coil and flywheel, I'll try and let you know what I come up with using it. I wonder, will I need a voltage regulator, something like on a snowmobile?

No, it's a single stator, so it'll produce 12 volts at 3 amps.
It appears as though I should not need a voltage regulator. However 12 volts at 3 amps. If I remember my rudimentary electronics watts=amps x volts. So 12v x 3 amps= 36 watts. 36 watt lights don't sound like they will kick out a lot of lumens.

If It makes any difference my engine is a genuine honda gx160. I am not sure of the exact model (e.g. q,v... whatever else they all are). As I can see from the other forum the guy did not come back to update of how it went down, so if anyone has run this sort of setup before it would be much appreciated if you could kick me some info. Also I am looking for how much power will be lost to powering this thing. The engine is only 5.5 hp, if I lost a ton due to inefficiency or the like I will probably just abandon the plan. Thanks in advance for any help.
jorge0136

Postby hd4ou » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:11 am

those stators go under the flywheel. your engine already has a flywheel but it on the other end of the crankshaft. under that metal shroud that the pullrope is attached to. if your just running lights then you wont need a regulator. the more rpms you make the brighter the lights get.
hd4ou
Team Member
Team Member

Postby jorge0136 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:00 pm

Do you know how to make a stator?
jorge0136

Postby hd4ou » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:48 pm

you dont make em. ya hafta buy them.
hd4ou
Team Member
Team Member

Postby The_Technician » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:47 am

hd4ou wrote:those stators go under the flywheel. your engine already has a flywheel but it on the other end of the crankshaft. under that metal shroud that the pullrope is attached to. if your just running lights then you wont need a regulator. the more rpms you make the brighter the lights get.

You have to install the flywheel with the magnets on the inside of it to use the charging system. A standard recoil style flywheel doesn't have them.
Some people are like a slinky....
Not good for much, but watching one tumble down stairs makes you smile.
The_Technician
Mod Squad Member
Mod Squad Member

Postby njccmd2002 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:33 pm

im in the same spot, who sells them. I have a gx200 clone, been searching on ebay for months...
njccmd2002
Rookie
Rookie

Return to Honda Clones / GY6 / CN / CF / CH250